SE

________________________________"Self-expression must pass into communication for its fulfilment." (Pearl S. Buck)_______________________________

Saturday, February 7, 2015

When the Night is Bright

www.superbwallpapers.com
In high school, we've had this lesson in fourth year MAPEH titled, "The Art of Aging." It was just a mere lecture then. Tonight as I was actually walking along the streets by myself, I have gotten to ponder on things that I probably won't understand and appreciate if I haven't grown older. I have come to realize that one of the significant links between art and aging is, in point of fact, open-mindedness. Hence, being open to be taught and to learn.
During one of the seminars that I've attended, our keynote speaker, (which actually is Ma'am Cathy Bobis and is in fact about Conflict Management,) asked us if we have already met the worst of ourselves. She said that we are lucky if we run into our darkest side now that we are still young for we still have ample time to change or at least tame that part of us. At that moment, I didn't have a ready answer. And the question lingered in my thoughts.
Then taking time, and not essentially forcing myself to reflect, I think that I have, in fact, shaken hands with the demon that is inside of me. I have known my fatal flaw all along. For the most part of my life, I thought that things can just be categorized into two. They're either black or white. Now, being twenty and all, I have truly learned that it's actually many shades of gray.
www.picpicx.com
That is, I have been boxed and confined with my so called "principles" that I basically refused to see what's beyond. There are even times when even though I am aware I've hurt others' feelings big time, I don't utter the word sorry at all. If I did, it's probably not genuine. Again because of this so called "principles." I was delirious. I blindly stood my ground. I have been arrogant, proud and selfish. And I am greatly sorry for that.

As my mother had tried to inculcate in me while she was still alive, "Humility is the mother of all traits." I implore myself to be humble. For I believe that it's only when we put our heads low and accept that we're not as intelligent, talented, high-profile as we think ourselves to be, that we could welcome opportunities of growth and enlightenment. Suffice it to say, we need to be humble to have an open-mind. And it takes an open mind to appreciate life beyond the neon lights of teenage years.

No comments:

Post a Comment