SE

________________________________"Self-expression must pass into communication for its fulfilment." (Pearl S. Buck)_______________________________

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Doubting and I


            How can one be sure? How can things be attested? What is  the truth amongst stances that are claimed to be such?

            For one, I am not certain as to the submission date of this paper. Well, I am to blame. I lost the paper where I wrote the pertinent information on. Worse, I even lost my memory as to what the due date is. One thing is for sure though, this must be accomplished as early as possible. This will be submitted sooner or later.

            Perhaps, doubting when I am supposed to submit this made me feel uneasy. I need to know the specific date that this should be passed. I was motivated to search for it. That's why I asked a classmate of mine as to when is the submission date. She answered that this would be due on September 4, Tuesday. I was relieved, though there is still something in me that makes me ask if she tells me the right information. Nonetheless, this must be made.

            Doubting or not trusting as to the certainty of her answer somehow lead me to realize the fact that I have a paper to make regardless of when the due date is. As, Rene Descartes' “universal methodic doubt states”, doubting precedes certainty. In other words, doubting is the foundation of  clear and distinct knowledge.

            Also, doubting affirms one's existence. Not just my existence as a human being but also the existence of the problem. As he had said, doubting one's existence confirms that he really do exist. “ Cogito ergo sum.”

            Once I was asked, what is more true than truth itself? Now, I can confidently answer that doubt is more true that truth itself. One cannot doubt that he is doubting, for that mere doubting that he doubts proves that he is in doubt. Complicated yet simple isn't it? Additionally, it's because of the doubt that one is motivated to search for the truth. Doubting makes attests a truth.

            I don't deny that I don't trust anyone I just newly meet. They'll have to pass a series of unwritten criteria first before I give them my confidence.

            I also don't deny that I did doubt if my course is really the one that is for me. I admit that until now I still do. But there are times that I venture into other fields such as singing, dancing, facilitating among others . I can do all of them all right. Yet there comes a time that I unconsciously compare them to accounting, having the latter in my opinion as more apt for me. Now, that uncertainty is kind of alleviated.

            Confidence and trust must not be given totally to someone or something. Hence, if one does, he is prone to manipulations and deceits. Better to keep everything that is worthy the benefit of the doubt. They may be doubting as well.

            Doubting perhaps is not always outwards. Everyone including myself must also reflect and decipher the truth of their identity and personhood. “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates had said. I admit that there are things about myself that I doubt. Many of them in fact. Some major things. Now, I know that it's just right for me to just do it. Eventually this will lead to the certainty that I am longing for. Most importantly, I must not just ignore them. The fact that I am doubting confirms that I have problems to settle.

            Thus, the lesson that struck me among  all our midterm lessons is Rene Descartes' philosophy about doubt and his quest for certainty.

 This an essay about Descartes's philosophy about Doubt made by me.           

No comments:

Post a Comment